GP services:


If you would like an appointment or health advice from a GP, please call the surgery, and our navigation team will take some brief details and your contact number. The doctor will call you back for an initial telephone consultation. If, after speaking with you the doctor thinks you need to come into surgery, they will make an appointment for you – this is usually on the same day.

Online Services

Valens provides online access for patients to book appointments, order repeat prescriptions, view your medical record, request sick notes, request doctors letters and many more. You can find out more about our online services by clicking the link below:

Access Online Services

Minor surgery and joint injections

Joint injections and cryocautery are carried out at all the surgeries. Please note that benign skin lesions cannot be removed on the NHS for cosmetic reasons only.

Most of our GPs perform minor operations including the removal of various skin lumps, cysts, and moles.

Please see your usual doctor in a routine appointment so that they can assess if the problem you have is suitable for minor surgery. They will then add your name to a future operating list, and advise you where to attend the appointment.

Fit note / 'sick note'

For absence from work lasting less than seven days, you can self-certify without needing to see a doctor.
If you are absent from work for more than seven days, your employer will require a fit note as proof of being unfit to work. The GP will assess your current state in a consultation, and may provide a fit note for your employer.
Further extensions of your fit note can be requested by contacting the surgery. You may be called for further review if the GP decides this is necessary.

For more information see the website.

Home visits

When requesting a home visit, please try to call before 11.00am wherever possible. Home visits are available for patients who for example are housebound or are so unwell they are unable to attend the surgery. When you call us, the receptionist will take the details of your request and the doctor will call you back to discuss the problem and assess the urgency. The doctor will either advise you about the self-management of your complaint, or arrange for you to see a doctor, nurse, health visitor or whoever is the most appropriate person to deal with your health problem, either by a visit or an appointment.


If you require referral to Secondary Care or another provider, your GP will arrange this for you.

Medical examinations

Medical examinations are usually carried out at your usual surgery for various purposes including insurance, HGV, PSV and pre-employment. If you need an appointment for a medical examination, please mention the purpose of the appointment to the receptionist and remember to bring the necessary forms with you. A fee will be charged. Fees for medicals may be paid by the insurance company or your employer. For advise on our medical fees, please speak to the receptionist at your usual surgery.

Visiting services:


A Dietician provides advice and guidance on all aspects of nutrition and healthy eating. Specific advice is available for diabetics. Appointments with the Dietician can be made via your surgery.

District nurses

The district nurses provide a comprehensive home nursing service and will be pleased to advise on a wide variety of problems. They can see patients just home from hospital who need wound or other care, patients with disabilities, problems with incontinence, leg ulcers, advice on health care in the home, health problems in the elderly, day centre care, holiday relief, respite care, palliative care and much more. They run the treatment room sessions in the surgeries for patients who need wound dressings and certain injections who are not housebound. They also deliver chronic disease services for housebound patients (blood pressure, heart and lung disease reviews).

District Nurse appointments can be booked by calling the practice on Option 3.

Health Visitors

The Health Visitor Service is offered to all families with children under 5 years of age.

You will receive a visit from the Health Visitor when you are pregnant or when you transfer to a Valens surgery.

Health visitors work with parents and carers to ensure that children have the best start in life and are able to achieve their full potential through delivery of the Healthy Child Programme. Support and advice is available with feeding, sleep, toileting and behaviour. Health visitors work alongside and refer to other services and professionals.


Our Midwives carry out ante-natal clinics in various surgeries throughout the Valens network. They will see a patient at any time during her pregnancy and postnatal period.

You can now self-refer into the midwife service and register your pregnancy by following the following link: If you are unable refer yourself online, you can call 0191 293 2545.

Please contact reception at your usual surgery for any assistance with the midwife service.


Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust has the largest trauma and orthopaedic service in the North East, carrying out thousands of hip and knee replacements every year. Treatment for disorders of bones and joints or specialist surgery for upper and lower limb problems as well as spinal problems can be referred by your GP.


Podiatrists provide diagnosis and treatment for patients who are experiencing problems with their legs and feet or are experiencing painful foot conditions. The Podiatry service helps to make sure that patients can still get around and stay independent.

Services range from support in self care through to specialist work in areas such as nail surgery, specialist rheumatology clinics and specialist footwear clinics.

To book an appointment please contact reception at your usual surgery.


A physiotherapist is available at a choice of locations across the Valens network, by referral from a GP.

Physiotherapists help people affected by injury, illness or disability through movement and exercise, manual therapy, education and advice. They maintain health for people of all ages, helping patients to manage pain and prevent disease.

Appointments are booked via JMAPS, the Northumberland Joint Musculoskeletal and Pain Service. You can self-refer into JMAPS by calling 03301 244 652.


A Chiropodist is available by referral or can be booked directly through your surgery reception.

Practice team:

Clinical Pharmacists

Clinical Pharmacists work as part of the General Practice team to improve value and outcomes from medicines and consult with and treat patients directly. This includes providing extra help to manage long-term conditions, advice for those on multiple medicines and better access to health checks. The role is pivotal to improving the quality of care and ensuring patient safety.

Having Clinical Pharmacists in GP practices means GPs can focus their skills where they are most needed, for example on diagnosing and treating patients with more complex conditions.

Mental Health Practitioners

Our mental health practitioners specialise in mental health, and offer assessments, provide advice and support to manage your condition, and support you to access mental health services and community resources. They offer a range of same-day and prebookable appointments, and depending on your needs, you may follow-up appointments organised in your consultation.

A clinician may refer you to see the mental health team if you require deeper, specialised care for your mental health. They are also able to complete initial assessments for a wide range of conditions, such as ADHD and ASD, and they can refer you to the relevant authority for diagnosis and ongoing care if required.

Social Prescribing Link Workers

Social prescribing link workers can assist you with social issues. They can help you by supporting you to manage your health and wellbeing, giving you time to focus on what matters to you, and helping you to access support services and activities. The team can help with a number of issues, such as best managing finance, getting involved in groups and the local community, and supporting you to navigate the NHS by signposting to a range of appropriate services. You may be referred to the social prescribing team by a member of the practice if they feel you require help. Appointments can also be made by contacting the practice, or visiting your local reception. 

Orthopaedic Practitioners

Our orthopaedic practitioners specialise in the treatment of musculoskeletal conditions. They can help by diagnosing and treating muscular and joint conditions, advising on how to manage your condition, and referring you on to specialist services. They can also organise tests and scans, and administer specific injections to help with musculoskeletal problems where necessary.

You can make an appointment with the orthopaedic practitioners by calling the surgery, or you may be made an appointment by a GP if they feel the orthopaedic team would provide the best care for your condition. 

Nursing services:

All our nurses are registered with a professional body. Their names, speciality and qualifications are all listed on our website. They have a wide range of responsibilities and duties with differing areas of special expertise and interest, providing quality of care in chronic disease management and health promotion. They also carry out Treatment Room duties. In addition, the Community Nurses provide care to patients in their own home, e.g. following hospital discharge.

Nurse Clinics and Health checks

Sessions are held throughout the week by our nursing teams for:
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease*

Long term condition review* – annual checks for those patients with problems of hypertension, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, asthma, peripheral vascular disease, COPD, heart failure, and chronic kidney disease. 

*indicates you will be called or recalled to these clinics automatically by our computer system.

Family planning and sexual health

Advice on all aspects of family planning/emergency contraception is given during normal surgery hours by nurses who have been specially trained in this area, or with the doctors.

We have nurses who specialise in contraception and sexual health offering all methods of contraception including subdermal implants and intrauterine devices (coils). Please ask at reception to book an appointment.

Alternatively you can contact Northumberland Sexual Health who provide advice and contraceptives as well as GUM services (sexual health services). For general advice or to book an appointment please call 01670 515151.  Sexual Health is provided by the Northumberland Care Trust, who operate One to One Centres in Blyth and Morpeth.

Cervical screening - smear test

We advise all women to have regular smear tests. If you have not had a smear test for 3 years (women aged 25-49 years) or 5 years (women aged 50-64 years) please make an appointment to have this done. We will then remind you to have this repeated as necessary. All routine smears are carried out by our nurses.

Child immunisations

Immunisation protects not only your young baby/child, but other children and adults as well. It is quick, safe and simple. Your Health Visitor will discuss and advise you concerning the immunisation your child or baby will need. Immunisations are given at 8, 12 and 16 weeks, 13-15 months, 3½ years and 4 years of age. The immunisations are given by a trained practice nurse and can be booked through the receptionist at your usual practice.

Click here for further information on the NHS childhood vaccination programme.

Travel vaccinations

Travel vaccinations are usually available at practice nurse run clinics throughout the Valens surgeries. Please speak to the receptionist at your usual surgery to make an appointment at least one month before travel.

You may be given a form to fill in with the details of where you are going so that the nurse can give you personal advice on staying healthy and which vaccinations or other medication you may need. Young children may be asked to see a doctor for their vaccinations. If you require vaccinations at short notice and we do not have an available appointment you will be given details of the Travel Clinic in Newcastle. Please be advised hey may charge for their services. To see our fees for travel vaccinations, please ask the receptionist.

Macmillan nurses

Macmillan Nurses work with the nursing team to support both patients with a life threatening illness and their families. To find out more about how to contact your nearest team speak to the receptionist at your usual surgery.

Non-NHS services:

Certain services provided by your doctor are not covered by the National Health Service. This includes pre-employment medicals, private certificates, private medical insurance claims, fitness to drive medicals. Payment will be required before the GP can process the request. We accept payment via cash or cheque, please make cheques payable to Valens Medical Partnership.

Please ask the receptionist at your usual surgery for our Fees & Charges list.

Medical examinations are usually carried out at your usual surgery for various purposes including insurance, HGV, PSV and pre-employment. If you need an appointment for a medical examination please mention the purpose of the appointment to the receptionist and remember to bring the necessary forms with you. A fee will be charged. Fees for medicals may be paid by the insurance company or your employer. To see our medical fees please speak to the receptionist at your usual surgery.

Other services:

Mental health counselling

This service is provided by mental health matters, you can refer yourself using 0300 303 0700.

Please click here to view mental health matters leaflet.

Carers Northumberland

Carers Northumberland is a charity dedicated to improving the lives of carers by responding to the needs of carers, informing carers of their rights and entitlements, supporting carers to access help for the person they care for, reducing the social isolation that so many carers feel and empowering carers to have a voice.

Registering with Carers Northumberland is FREE. Call 0844 800 7354 for further information. The information line is open Monday – Friday from 10:00am until 2.00pm although you will usually be able to speak to a member of staff within typical working hours (9am – 5pm) and also every 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month from 5.30pm until 7.30pm.

Blocked Ears (Wax)

A pharmacist can help with ear wax build up and can give you advice and suggest treatments.

They may recommend using drops to dissolve the earwax for at least two weeks. You may also be advised to try self-syringing with an ear bulb syringe which you can do at home. 

Do not use drops if you have a hole in your eardrum (a perforated eardrum).

Find a pharmacy here

If you have tried self treatment and self syringing and your symptoms do not improve, please contact us for further advice.


Translate »
Skip to content